Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Tennis Games & Tips

Wiggle those hips!

Young children often do not like relays. I came up with the ideal of Wiggle Those Hips one day when music was playing and I was moving my hips to the music. The children could not stop laughing t my dancing abilities. I implemented Wiggles Those Hips into a relay.

Set a cone or basket about 20 yards away. Divide the children into teams and pick a basic skill like bouncing the ball on the racquet. When they run to the cone, they put their racquets and balls down and wiggle their hips. Then they pick up their racquets and balls and return to the line. They love it!

(Originally appeared in ADDvantage magazine, March 1998)


Show me your baby face!

We all want children to have a good time with clinics. Laughing, smiling, and joking around is always a sign kids are having fun. Have you ever played games in which you give the player a second chance? For example when I play a game called “Around the world.” I will give each player a second chance. However, in order for them to get that second chance, they will have to make a baby face. This really works. The parents who are watching the kids get a kick out of it and the players and teachers always laugh.

(Originally appeared in ADDvantage magazine, December 1998)

David Minihan is the author of acclaimed book Coaching Your Tennis Champion

1 comment:

Jerry's Dallas said...

Wiggle your hips. What a concept!